Monday, December 15, 2008

Been a While...




Hello any readers I have (which I know I don't, as of yet. :[ ) Anyway, I've been rechargin' the ol' battries, and I thought I'd start a series of posts about my favorite artists. First of, as I like to call them, "The Great Masters", is that Magic the Gathering Guru, co-author and illustrator of the Spiderwick Chronicles, and Arthur Spiderwick's Feild Guide to the Fantastical World Around You, on of my favorite books, all-around grown up kid, Tony Diterlizzi. He is a master in acrylic gouache and colored pencil, creating richly, slighty sepia steeped fantasy illustrations. (probably a result of one of his influences, the esteemed Arthur Rackham.) I love his work particularly for the richness of the textures, and the wonderful character design behind them. His pen and ink illustrations are a sight to behold as well, having some influence, I imagine, from the comic book art of William Stout and the macabre, thickly textured illustrations of Edward Gorey. Truly, he is INDEED one of the better illustrators of our time. :D

No comments: